Technical Review Board
What is the Technical Review Board (TRB)?
The Technical Review Board (TRB) is a team of experts with international mining experience. The TRB was established in August 2009 as an Advisory Panel under Sections 54A, 54C, 54D and 54E of the Mineral Resources (Sustainability Development) Act 1990 (MRSDA). Establishment of the Board was one of the Government’s initiatives in response to the recommendations by the Mining Warden Inquiry into the catastrophic Yallourn Mine batter collapse in 2007.
What is the Purpose of the Board?
The TRB provides strategic advice to the Government in the areas of mine and quarry stability, rehabilitation and other strategic risks, specifically in relation to reducing risks to the environment, public safety and infrastructure.
New Appointments to the Board
At the completion of the third two-year term of the TRB, the Minister for Energy and Resources re-appointed the chair and two members. The fourth member addition to the TRB is an expert in mine and quarry rehabilitation. The fourth term of the TRB is for 10 months to expire 30 June 2016.
Who are the new Board members?
View the TRB member details
Term of Reference for the Board
1. The Board will report to the Minister on an annual basis. The Minister may subsequently release the Board’s report to the Department and relevant industry stakeholders.
2. The Board will periodically provide advice on mine and quarry stability, to the Minister and Department, in the following areas:
- Written and/or verbal advice on the Department’s strategies and regulatory approach to mine and quarry stability and geotechnical issues.
- Written and/or verbal advice on new developments in technology and science relating to the understanding, monitoring or management of mine and quarry stability and related geotechnical and hydrogeological issues.
(b) Stability reports
- Review and interpret mine and quarry stability reports including monitoring data, that have been submitted to the Department and provide written advice to the Minister.
(c) Other Activities
- Advise the Minister in formulating appropriate responses to significant events relating to mine and quarry stability, and related geotechnical and hydrogeological issues.
- Advise the Minister on appropriate guidelines and educational initiatives related to mine and quarry stability.
- With the knowledge and agreement of the Minister, interact directly with industry on mine and quarry stability and related geotechnical and hydrogeological issues, including participation in site visits, presentations and dialogues, particularly with respect to communicating findings of reviews with relevant stakeholders.
- In conjunction with the Department, interact directly with the Federation University Australia in relation to the Research and Development program on brown coal geotechnical and hydrogeological issues.
- Provide written advice and guidance to the Department on any issues related to rehabilitation, including progressive rehabilitation within mines and quarries.
Technical Review Board Annual Report
- Technical Review Board Annual Report 2014-2015
- Technical Review Board Annual Report 2013-2014
- Technical Review Board Annual Report 2012-2013
- Technical Review Board Annual Report 2011-2012