Information for Community and Landholders
This section is designed to provide information to landholders and the community on matters relating to earth resources issues.
Code of Practice for Mineral Exploration
The Code of Practice for Mineral Exploration has been varied under section 89E of the Mineral Resources (Sustainable Development) Act 1990, to reflect the amended definition of low impact exploration. The amended definitions came into effect on 1 November 2014.
For any queries regarding the revised definition of low impact exploration, please contact Naomi Oosting, Program Manager, Environment, Sustainable Development Unit, on (03) 9092 1961
Code of Practice for Low Risk MinesThe Code of Practice for Low Risk Mines has been made under section 89E of the Mineral Resources (Sustainable Development) Act 1990 (the Act).
The Code has been developed in response to amendments to the Act which will mean that low risk mines may be able to operate under the Code rather than lodging a work plan. The amendments to the Act came into effect on 1 November 2014.
For any queries, please contact Naomi Oosting, Program Manager, Environment, Sustainable Development Unit, on (03) 9092 1961.
Information for Costerfield residents
Government agencies are working to address community concerns about antimony and dust from the Costerfield mine. The Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources, as the department responsible for mining regulation, is working in conjunction with other agencies including the Department of Health and Human Services, the Environment Protection Authority and the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning and has taken the following actions:
- Issued directions to the mine for immediate dust suppression measures, which are now in place and working well
- Commissioned independent expert testing of soil, water and air quality around Costerfield
- Provided the results of the testing to individual households in person, along with an assessment of any health implications, plus the opportunity to ask questions of Department of Health and Human Services doctors and an expert toxicologist
- Provided information for these households and the broader community, including publishing the independent expert report and providing fact sheets, frequently asked questions and regular updates
Earth Resources Regulation is continuing to follow up on the concerns raised by community members and is committed to keeping the community informed about this issue.
- Read the latest information on the Costerfield Mine antimony issues
- Media release: Report into antimony at Costerfield
- A rapid assessment of antimony levels at Costerfield Victoria: Summary Report
(word 727kb, pdf 247kb)
- Rapid health assessment and preliminary report on monitoring based on information and data available to 15 June 2014
(word 7.9mb, pdf 2.8mb)
- Fact sheet: Results of independent testing of antimony levels around Costerfield
- Fact sheet: Regulation of the Mandalay Resources Costerfield mine
- Frequently Asked Questions