GeoVic - Explore Victoria Online
GeoVic is a free web mapping application which allows users to search geospatial databases and to display the results as maps or tables. GeoVic data layers include the following:
- mineral, petroleum and extractive industry tenements
- geological maps and interpretations at various scales
- land-use data
- aerial photography
- airborne geophysical survey boundaries
- gravity, magnetic and radiometric images
- borehole & well data
- surface geochemistry results
- mines and mineral occurrences
- renewable energy data (eg solar, geothermal and wind)
The Data Layers table provides a detailed description of the layers accessible in GeoVic.
There are two versions of GeoVic:
- GeoVic Version 3 (Registered). GeoVic 3 was released in 2011. Registered users are able to access all online data and program functions. The registered version is optimised for Firefox 3.5+ and will work on Safari, Opera, Chrome and Internet Explorer 8+.
- GeoVic Version 3 (Anonymous). No user name or password is required. Anonymous users have restricted access to data and program functionality. Version 3 is optimised for Firefox and will work on Safari, Opera and Chrome. The Anonymous version does not work in Internet Explorer 6, however it has been tested in version 8 and is reasonably reliable.
It is highly recommended that users read the Version 3 Help GeoVic Help Documentation v3 (DOCX 5306.14 KB) documentation prior to using GeoVic.
GeoVic Version 3 has limited functionality on tablets and mobile devices. It can display layers , pinch zoom, query and search datasets. It also allows the tracking of the user’s location.
It does not have the following capabilities: Add theme, add other data, select features (spatially), Redline/Markup, Historic Mining Activity Report and Exporting Spatial Data.
GeoVic has the following functionality:
- Add any of over 800 layers
- Spatial searches and search by attribute (including common searches)
- Quick search for single features on key earth resource layers
- Print a map in various styles
- Export of spatial data via various methods and various formats (eg data.vic.gov.au, kml for Google Earth and Excel)
- Links to other systems (Detailed Reports, Online Store, Company Reports, Google Maps etc)
- Layer transparency and layer ordering capability
- Display and search map co-ordinates
- Measure Distance and Areas
- Buffer/Intersect selected features to select other selected features
- Detailed Layer Metadata
- Historic Mining Analysis Report
- Help, Video Tutorials and Feedback
Assistance for GeoVic users is provided in the Help documentation (Version 3 Help GeoVic Help Documentation v3 (DOCX 5306.14 KB)). There is also a dedicated Help section within the GeoVic program itself.
For further information, support, or to report an error, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 03 9027 4436 (9.00am - 5.00pm, Mon - Fri).