GeoVic - Explore Victoria Online
GeoVic is a free web mapping application which allows users to search geospatial databases and to display the results as maps or tables. GeoVic data layers include the following:
- mineral, petroleum and extractive industry tenements
- geological maps and interpretations at various scales
- land-use data
- aerial photography
- airborne geophysical survey boundaries
- gravity, magnetic and radiometric images
- borehole & well data
- surface geochemistry results
- mines and mineral occurrences
- renewable energy data (eg solar, geothermal and wind)
The Data Layers table provides a detailed description of the layers accessible in GeoVic.
There are three versions of GeoVic:
- GeoVic Version 3 (Registered). GeoVic 3 was released in 2011. Registered users are able to access all online data and program functions. The registered version is optimised for Firefox 3.5+ and will work on Safari, Opera, Chrome and Internet Explorer 8+.
- GeoVic Version 3 (Anonymous). No user name or password is required. Anonymous users have restricted access to data and program functionality. Version 3 is optimised for Firefox and will work on Safari, Opera and Chrome. The Anonymous version does not work in Internet Explorer 6, however it has been tested in version 8 and is reasonably reliable.
- GeoVic Version 2. GeoVic Version 2 was released in 2004 and is optimised for Internet Explorer 6. It is no longer being updated. New users are advised to access Version 3.
It is highly recommended that users read either the Version 3 Help GeoVic Help Documentation v3 (DOCX 5306.14 KB) or Version 2 Help documentation prior to using GeoVic.
GeoVic Version 3 has limited functionality on tablets and mobile devices. It can display layers , pinch zoom, query and search datasets. It also allows the tracking of the user’s location.
It does not have the following capabilities: Add theme, add other data, select features (spatially), Redline/Markup, Historic Mining Activity Report and Exporting Spatial Data.
GeoVic has the following functionality:
- Add any of over 800 layers
- Spatial searches and search by attribute (including common searches)
- Quick search for single features on key earth resource layers
- Print a map in various styles
- Export of spatial data via various methods and various formats (eg data.vic.gov.au, kml for Google Earth and Excel)
- Links to other systems (Detailed Reports, Online Store, Company Reports, Google Maps etc)
- Layer transparency and layer ordering capability
- Display and search map co-ordinates
- Measure Distance and Areas
- Buffer/Intersect selected features to select other selected features
- Detailed Layer Metadata
- Historic Mining Analysis Report
- Help, Video Tutorials and Feedback
Assistance for GeoVic users is provided in the Help documentation (Version 3 Help GeoVic Help Documentation v3 (DOCX 5306.14 KB) or Version 2 Help). There is also a dedicated Help section within the GeoVic program itself.
For further information, support, or to report an error, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 03 9027 4436 (8.30am - 4.30pm, Mon - Fri).