GeoVic - Explore Victoria Online
Service Update as of April 2015
Earth Resources Regulation is currently upgrading its electronic tenement management systems and as a result the current tenement related geospatial information in GeoVic may not be fully up to date.
All documents registered by the department as a requirement of the Mineral Resources (Sustainable Development) Act 1990 may not have been uploaded to GeoVic during the system upgrade.
For further information on document registrations and tenement locations please contact the Earth Resources Information Centre on 1300 366 356 on in person at Ground floor, 113 Exhibition Street Melbourne VIC 3001.
GeoVic - Explore Victoria Online
GeoVic is a free web mapping application which allows users to search geospatial databases and to display the results as maps or tables. GeoVic data layers include the following:
- mineral, petroleum and extractive industry tenements
- geological maps and interpretations at various scales
- land-use data
- aerial photography
- airborne geophysical survey boundaries
- gravity, magnetic and radiometric images
- borehole & well data
- surface geochemistry results
- mines and mineral occurrences
- renewable energy data (eg solar, geothermal and wind)
The Data Layers table provides a detailed description of the layers accessible in GeoVic.
There are three versions of GeoVic:
- GeoVic Version 3 (Registered). GeoVic 3 was released in 2011. Registered users are able to access all online data and program functions. The registered version is optimised for Firefox 3.5+ and will work on Safari, Opera, Chrome and Internet Explorer 8+.
- GeoVic Version 3 (Anonymous). No user name or password is required. Anonymous users have restricted access to data and program functionality. Version 3 is optimised for Firefox and will work on Safari, Opera and Chrome. The Anonymous version does not work in Internet Explorer 6, however it has been tested in version 8 and is reasonably reliable.
- GeoVic Version 2. GeoVic Version 2 was released in 2004 and is optimised for Internet Explorer 6. It is no longer being updated. New users are advised to access Version 3.
GeoVic Version 3 has limited functionality on tablets and mobile devices. It can display layers , pinch zoom, query and search datasets. It also allows the tracking of the user’s location.
It does not have the following capabilities: Add theme, add other data, select features (spatially), Redline/Markup, Historic Mining Activity Report and Exporting Spatial Data.
GeoVic has the following functionality:
- Add any of over 800 layers
- Spatial searches and search by attribute (including common searches)
- Quick search for single features on key earth resource layers
- Print a map in various styles
- Export of spatial data via various methods and various formats (eg data.vic.gov.au, kml for Google Earth and Excel)
- Links to other systems (Detailed Reports, Online Store, Company Reports, Google Maps etc)
- Layer transparency and layer ordering capability
- Display and search map co-ordinates
- Measure Distance and Areas
- Buffer/Intersect selected features to select other selected features
- Detailed Layer Metadata
- Historic Mining Analysis Report
- Help, Video Tutorials and Feedback
For further information, support, or to report an error, contact email@example.com or telephone 03 9027 4436 (8.30am - 4.30pm, Mon - Fri).